Please see the FAQ section of our site for more topics!
- WorkCredits & Meetings
- 1. What are work credits, and how can I sign up?More
Workcredits (or workdays) include a wide variety of activities where our members help to run events, perform work needed, and help improve the Club. Workcredits are a membership requirement and make the club unique by helping to foster involvement and save on operating expenses.
The general rule is four hours of service = 1 workcredit.
There are several ways to earn workcredits. These include attending monthly Saturday "cleanups", serving on a party committee, volunteering for the Junior International Badminton Tournament, Hometown Fair booth, Annual Rummage Sale and Silent Auction, helping at the November and May meetings, and more.
Members can sign up for many workcredits online here, and often there are sign up sheets at each of the semi-annual meetings for various workday opportunities.
- 2. Why are members required to perform workday credits?More
The Club is not a staffed club and functions much like a co-op. Having members perform some of the work and participate in activities saves money since it is not necessary to hire someone from the outside to do the same service. In addition, doing work at the Club helps instill participation and encourages members to get involved in Club activities.
- 3. How many workdays do I need to complete?More
Regular, Playing, and Provisional Members must complete three workdays within the one year period of June 1 through May 31. That means a couple must complete six workdays in a one year period. Our current policy is that one spouse can perform workdays for the other.
In addition, each member is expected to attend the two semi annual meetings in order to fulfill their obligations.
(Note: Intermediate Members must complete one workday per member per year, and Associate Members have no workday requirements)
- 4. How can I check the workdays I have earned?More
You can check your year-to-date workdays by going to this link:
- 5. What are the fines if I don’t complete all my workdays?More
Each Regular, Playing, and Provisional Members must complete three workdays within each fiscal year period of June 1 through May 31. (A couple must complete six workdays in a one year period.)
Fines are assessed based on the number of missed workdays as follows:
1 missed workday: $150
2 missed workdays: $300
3 missed workdays: $450
A total of $450 in workday fines may be assessed per member per year; or $900 per couple.
- 6. I think I did all my workdays but received a fine. What do I do?More
Sometimes mistakes occur when a member isn’t given credit for their participation. Please contact the event organizer or the Vice President to resolve any issues.
A member has 60 days after billing to contest a fine.
- 7. I signed up to volunteer for a party that was cancelled. Do I still get workday credits?More
Unfortunately, no. It is your responsibility to sign up for another party or event to receive workday credits.
- 8. What and When are the Semi-Annual Meetings?More
General Meetings are a great opportunity to socialize with other members, receive updates from Board Members, and to discuss and vote on Club issues. The MBBC was founded on a participatory membership, and thus our by-laws state that attendance is required for all Regular, Provisional, Intermediate, and Legacy members.
The club operates on an annual calendar from June 1 through May 31. We hold the Fall meeting on the first Sunday in November and the Spring meeting on the third Sunday in May.
- 9. How do I Proxy a Semi-Annual Meeting?More
A member is allowed to proxy ONE meeting during the year: Either the 1st meeting in November or the 2nd meeting in May, BUT ONLY IF they attend the other meeting in person. No meeting credit will be given for a proxy unless you attend the other meeting in person. Members will be fined $100 for each missed meeting.
Download Proxy Form here and submit PRIOR to the meeting, or hand-deliver at the meeting.
Proxy forms can be put in the Club Drop Box (outside Kitchen) or sent to our PO Box, but if you want proof of receipt, you should email it to [email protected].
To email, simply scan your signed proxy or take a photo of it with your phone. We will auto-reply with acknowledgement of your email.
- 10. How much is the fine for a missed meeting?More
- Each Regular, Intermediate Associate, Legacy, and Provisional Member is required to attend both General Meetings per year: Nov and May (NOTE: the club operates on a Calendar Year from June 1 through May 31, so the first meeting of the year is in November)
- If you attend one meeting in person, you can proxy the other one (see proxy form)
- NO meeting credit will be given for a proxy unless you attend the other semi-annual meeting in person
- Members will be fined $100 for each missed meeting. For example, if a member proxies November and misses May, they will be fined $200 for missing both meetings.
- 11. How often are the Saturday workdays held?More
The workday schedule is posted on our website and is usually held on the second Saturday of every month from 8am to noon. The House Chairperson organizes the work needed. This includes general maintenance projects like cleaning, washing windows, painting, fixing things, etc.
- 12. Are workdays pro-rated for new or resigning members?More
Yes - Workday Requirements are pro-rated as follows:
- We breakup the year into 1/3rds: 6/1-9/30, 10/1-1/31, and 2/1-5/31
- New members get the third in which they join free; thereafter they owe 1 workday per 1/3 year.
* Example: If a new member joins on June 1st - Sept 30th, they owe no workdays until the next period.
- Resigning members owe 1 workday for every 1/3 year or part thereof.
* Example: If a member resigns anytime from June 1st - Sept 30th, they owe 1 workday.